NIST Special Publications (SP)
- SP 800SP 800-18 (Security Plans) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-18r1.pdf
- 30 (Risk Assessment) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-30r1.pdf
- SP 800-34 (Contingency Planning) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-34r1.pdf
- SP 800-37 (Risk Management Framework) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-37r1.pdf
- SP 800-39 (Organizational Risk Management) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-39.pdf
- SP 800-53 (Security Controls) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-53r4.pdf
- SP 800-53A (Security Controls Assessment) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-53Ar4.pdf
- SP 800-59 (National Security Systems) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-59.pdf
- SP 800-60 (Security Categorization), Volume 1 – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-60v1r1.pdf
- SP 800-60 (Security Categorization), Volume 2 – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-60v2r1.pdf
- SP 800-61 (Incident Response Planning) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-61r2.pdf
- SP 800-137 (Continuous Monitoring) – https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-137.pdf
Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) Publications
- CNSSP 22 (Risk Management Policy for NSS) – www.cdse.edu/documents/cdse/DoDI_8500_01_Cybersecurity.pdf
- CNSSI 1253 (Security Categorization and Control Selection for NSS) - www.dss.mil/documents/CNSSI_No1253.pdf
Defense Security Service – Industrial Security Field Operations
- Assessment and Authorization Process Manual Version 1 – www.dss.mil/documents/rmf/DSS_Assessment_and_Authorization_Process_Manual-August242016.pdf
Department of Defense Instructions (DoDI)
- DoDI 8500.01 (Cybersecurity) – https://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/850001_2014.pdf
- DoDI 8510.01 (RMF for DoD IT) – https://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/851001_2014.pdf
Intelligence Community (IC) Publications
- ICD 503 (Risk Management, Certification and Accreditation)
RMF Step Completion Checklist
The following are checklists to be used at the completion of an
RMF step to determine readiness to move to the next step.
1. Categorize System
- Has the organization completed a security categorization of the information system including the information to be processed, stored, and transmitted by the system?
- Are the results of the security categorization process for the information system consistent with the organization’s enterprise architecture and commitment to protecting organizational mission/business processes?
- Do the results of the security categorization process reflect the organization’s risk management strategy?
- Has the organization adequately described the characteristics of the information system?
- Has the organization registered the information system for purposes of management, accountability, coordination, and oversight?
2. Select Controls
- Has the organization allocated all security controls to the information system as system-specific, hybrid, or common controls?
- Has the organization used its risk assessment (either formal or informal) to inform and guide the security control selection process?
- Has the organization identified authorizing officials for the information system and all common controls inherited by the system?
- Has the organization tailored and supplemented the baseline security controls to ensure that the controls, if implemented, adequately mitigate risks to organizational operations and assets, individuals, other organizations, and the Nation?
- Has the organization addressed minimum assurance requirements for the security controls employed within and inherited by the information system?
- Has the organization consulted information system owners when identifying common controls to ensure that the security capability provided by the inherited controls is sufficient to deliver adequate protection?
- Has the organization supplemented the common controls with system-specific or hybrid controls when the security control baselines of the common controls are less than those of the information system inheriting the controls?
- Has the organization documented the common controls inherited from external providers?
- Has the organization developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information system (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational risk management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
- Have appropriate organizational officials approved security plans containing system-specific, hybrid, and common controls?
3. Implement Controls
- Has the organization allocated security controls as system-specific, hybrid, or common controls consistent with the enterprise architecture and information security architecture?
- Has the organization demonstrated the use of sound information system and security engineering methodologies in integrating information technology products into the information system and in implementing the security controls contained in the security plan?
- Has the organization documented how common controls inherited by organizational information systems have been implemented?
- Has the organization documented how system-specific and hybrid security controls have been implemented within the information system taking into account specific technologies and platform dependencies?
- Has the organization taken into account the minimum assurance requirements when implementing security controls?
4. Assess Controls
- Has the organization developed a comprehensive plan to assess the security controls employed within or inherited by the information system?
- Was the assessment plan reviewed and approved by appropriate organizational officials?
- Has the organization considered the appropriate level of assessor independence for the security control assessment?
- Has the organization provided all of the essential supporting assessment-related materials needed by the assessor(s) to conduct an effective security control assessment?
- Has the organization examined opportunities for reusing assessment results from previous assessments or from other sources?
- Did the assessor(s) complete the security control assessment in accordance with the stated assessment plan?
- Did the organization receive the completed security assessment report with appropriate findings and recommendations from the assessor(s)?
- Did the organization take the necessary remediation actions to address the most important weaknesses and deficiencies in the information system and its environment of operation based on the findings and recommendations in the security assessment report?
- Did the organization update appropriate security plans based on the findings and recommendations in the security assessment report and any subsequent changes to the information system and its environment of operation?
5. Authorize System
- Did the organization develop a plan of action and milestones reflecting organizational priorities for addressing the remaining weaknesses and deficiencies in the information system and its environment of operation?
- Did the organization develop an appropriate authorization package with all key documents including the security plan, security assessment report, and plan of action and milestones (if applicable)?
- Did the final risk determination and risk acceptance by the authorizing official reflect the risk management strategy developed by the organization and conveyed by the risk executive (function)?
- Was the authorization decision conveyed to appropriate organizational personnel including information system owners and common control providers?
6. Continuously Monitor
- Is the organization effectively monitoring changes to the information system and its environment of operation including the effectiveness of deployed security controls in accordance with the continuous monitoring strategy?
- Is the organization effectively analyzing the security impacts of identified changes to the information system and its environment of operation?
- Is the organization conducting ongoing assessments of security controls in accordance with the monitoring strategy?
- Is the organization taking the necessary remediation actions on an ongoing basis to address identified weaknesses and deficiencies in the information system and its environment of operation?
- Does the organization have an effective process in place to report the security status of the information system and its environment of operation to the authorizing officials and other designated senior leaders within the organization on an ongoing basis?
- Is the organization updating critical risk management documents based on ongoing monitoring activities?
- Are authorizing officials conducting ongoing security authorizations by employing effective continuous monitoring activities and communicating updated risk determination and acceptance decisions to information system owners and common control providers?
To better support our customers, Paragone maintains the following RMF templates: